Sunday, May 18, 2008

Philly needs a Stepparents Group

Yo, Philadelphia!

Are you a Stepparent? Would you like to talk about the challenges and rewards of step-parenting with people who share the same experiences?

Are you a Would-be Stepparent? Are you in a long-term, committed relationship with someone who has kids? Are you engaged or living with someone and assuming the stepparent role?

Would you like to talk with people who can offer their experience, encouragement, advice, or just empathy?

Well, I would!

But after searching high and low, it seems that Philadelphia does not have a support group for Stepparents.

Would you like to help form the Philly Stepparents and Would-be Stepparents Group? One person cannot do it alone. If you can make a modest time commitment to help form this group, please email me at phillystepparents@gmail.com.

Interested in attending a future meeting of the Philly Stepparents and Would-be Stepparents? Please leave a comment or send me an email.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot tell you just how interested I would be to join such a group. Life as a stepparent is indescribably challenging and I would love to meet others in my shoes, just to know I'm not alone.

Philly Stepparent said...

Hi Caitlin. I feel the same way! I'm so glad that you found the site and are interested in joining the group.

I'm still in the midst of trying to form the group. I'll post updates here on the blog. If we're lucky, the first meeting would happen sometime this summer, but there is still a lot of work to do.

In the meantime, please spread the word to other stepparents you may know. And hang in there - you're definitely not alone!

Unknown said...

Well I've been toying with the idea of starting a group locally but never got the ball rolling, so I'm really glad to see you taking the lead!

Although I don't personally know anyone else in the stepparenting role, I am a member of an online community of stepparents so I will spread the word there to see if there are any people local to Philadelphia.

Stepparents unite!